Friday, January 24, 2014

Visit with Cooper and Irene in Chloride AZ

Jan 14 2014
On my way to the Quartzsite rally I stopped by for a brief visit with my friends Cooper and Irene at their winter home in Chloride AZ. The web page for chloride states that “
Today, Chloride is a peaceful community of approximately 250 people. The mines are closed; the residents are active, semi-retired, retired, business people, families and artists who enjoy a relaxed lifestyle in the village. Some say Chloride doesn't have any ordinary people living here - just characters! That may be true!
My friends took me on an ATV ride to view some giant rock paintings by artist Roy Purcell. Then it was on to a tour of the town with its old buildings and interesting yard decorations. I’ve noticed a recurring theme in the desert when it comes to yard decorations. Anything that rusts or is made of glass is used. I think many just wonder the desert and bring home whatever they find to put in their yards. Others make art of their finds by joining them together to create unique forms and creatures.
We also visited the local cemetary where we found many unmarked graves from the time when this was a booming silver mine community. Then they treated me to lunch at one of the local watering holes. It was a great visit.

Irene and Cooper with Annie Bones and Tucker
Roy Purcell Mural - Chloride AZ
If walls could talk
Help - I'm innocent I tell you.
Unmarked graves at the local cemetery

No comments:

Post a Comment