Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Savannah NWR SC


Nov 5, 2012 Mon
On my way to Florida I stopped in South Carolina. I was just an hour from Savannah Georgia so I decided to check it out; although, I try to avoid cities. While I was on my way to Savannah I saw a sign that read “Savannah National Wildlife Refuge”. My truck automatically turns when I pass these signs. I drove to the very nice visitor center to get information about the refuge. I discovered they have a four mile auto tour. So off I went with map in hand.
The refuge has over 29,000 acres. Most of the refuge is accessible by boat only. Part of the refuge is made up of 13 old rice plantations that used slave labor.
It was a little early to see any real numbers of ducks and geese. I did manage to find a few water fowl. The Little Blue Heron landed right in front of me. I had the 500mm on the camera and I almost couldn’t get the whole bird in the frame.

Little Blue Heron
White Ibis
Double-crested Cormorant
Flying Gadwalls
Belted Kingfisher
Pied-billed Grebe
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Glad I have a long lens
Savannah NWR SC
Part of the four mile auto tour that passes close to old slave quarters.
Savannah NWR NC
Red-tailed Hawk
Red-shouldered Hawk
Great Blue Heron

No comments:

Post a Comment