Sunday, November 11, 2012

Savannah GA


Nov 9, 2012 Fri
I finally left the wildlife refuge and made it to Savannah GA. If you want to visit any or all of the many plantations in the Savannah area, I would suggest you visit during the Spring bloom. There are a few blooms all year, but nothing like in the Spring.
When Edward Oglethorpe started the colony of Georgia (named for King George II) the charter prohibited slavery, lawyers, Catholics, and hard liquor. That all changed over time.
I visited Savannah a couple of days ago and took a trolley tour. It was an informative tour. The tour guide was very funny and well educated on the history of Savannah and it’s inhabitants. Today I came back to visit a few places on my own.
One of the places I visited was Paula Deen and son’s restaurant. I chose the buffet.
Fried Chicken
Fried Catfish
Glazed Sweet Potatoes
Black-eyed Peas
Green Beans
Grits
Biscuit
Potato Pancake
Peach Cobbler for dessert.
I rolled out of the restaurant and continued my tour of Savannah. Here are some of the places I explored.

Savannah River and Talmadge Bridge
Waving Girl Welcoming Ships and Sailors to Savannah's Harbor
Forsyth Fountain Savannah GA
Haitian Monument Franklin Square
Paula Deen and Son's Restaurant 

The same Lady Chablis that appeared in the movie "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil"
She still struts her stuff on the stage
First African Baptist 1859 - Oldest Continuing Black Congregation in American
While visiting in England Juliette Gordon Low became acquainted with Sir Robert Baden-Powell, founder of the Boy Scouts and Girl Guides. She decided to return to Savannah to start an organization in America. On March 12, 1912 she gathered 18 girls and held the first meeting of the Girl Guides, later renamed the Girl Scouts. You can visit her home in Savannah. I didn't make it to her house, but a section of the Savannah History Museum is dedicated to Juliette(Daisy) and the girl scouts.
Juliette Gordon Low - Founder of the Girl Scouts
Girl Scout Poster

No comments:

Post a Comment