Friday, May 4, 2012

TOS Sabine Woods Texas


May 4th, 2012
Well I’ve been staying on the Bolivar Peninsula in TX since April 27th. I plan to leave this area next Tuesday May 8th and take my time traveling north to MO to visit with family.
I expected to find lots of migrating warblers in the High Island area, but as it turns out the TOS Sabine Woods over by Port Arthur has been much more productive and a much better place for photography. I talked to one of the care takers of the sanctuary who is a photographer and he is going to try to add a second drip area next year that will be even better for photographers. Guess I’ll just have to come back.
On one of my trips to Port Arthur I stopped by the Museum of the Gulf Coast. As you would expect the museum is full of natural and industrial history of the Gulf Coast. It also includes a section of well known musicians and athletes from the Gulf Coast. I knew that Janet Joplin was from Port Arthur. She used to talk about that. I didn’t know one of my childhood idols, Babe Didrikson Zaharias was also from Port Arthur. I also found out there is a Babe Didrikson Zaharias museum in Beaumont TX. I’ll try to get over there to see that.
Here are a few of the warblers I found at TOS Sabine Woods. I found other birds there also. I’ll put them in separate post.
Bay-breasted Warbler

Golden-winged Warbler

Hooded Warbler

Yellow Warbler
Northern Parula

Carolina Chickadee

American Redstart Female
American Redstart Male

No comments:

Post a Comment