Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Rockport TX Area March - April 2014

March 25 – April 9 2014
I arrived in Rockport TX to brilliant streaks of lightning, loud claps of thunder, and pouring rain. I stepped into the RV office to check in and said to the woman behind the counter “I just thought I would announce my arrival”. Everyone in the office got a kick out of that. More bad weather to delay my trips to the birding areas of South Texas.
One bright spot of my stay in Rockport was a visit from my cousin Joe Leonard. He lives and works in Austin, but will be retiring at the end of the school year. He teaches music to grade school children. You couldn’t pay me enough to teach anything to grade school children. Bless his heart.
I took advantage of the few dry and partially sunny days to find a few birdies to pose for me.

Unfortunately some of them were posing on beaches full of oil that had washed down the coast from a tanker that collided with another ship in Galveston Bay a few days earlier.



Brown Pelican - Goose Island SP TX
Black and White Warbler - Goose Island SP TX
Black-throated Green Warbler - Goose Island SP TX
Hooded Warbler - Goose Island SP TX
Brown Pelican swallowing a fish - Goose Island SP TX
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher - Goose Island SP TX
Whooping Cranes in a cow pasture near Goose Island SP TX
Brown Pelicans - Mustang Island SP TX
Laughing Gull - Mustang Island SP TX
Ruddy Turnstone - Mustang Island SP TX
Sanderling - Mustang Island SP TX
Willet - Mustang Island SP TX
Blue-winged Teal - Leonabelle Turnbull  Birding Center - Port Aransas TX
Green Heron - Leonabelle Turnbull  Birding Center - Port Aransas TX
Northern Shoveler - Leonabelle Turnbull  Birding Center - Port Aransas TX
Ruddy Duck Male - Leonabelle Turnbull  Birding Center - Port Aransas TX
Oil Cleanup Crews at Mustang Island SP TX
Oiled Shorebird - Mustang Island SP TX
American Alligator - Leonabelle Turnbull Birding Center - Port Aransas TX
Nutria - Leonabelle Turnbull Birding Center - Port Aransas TX


1 comment: