Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Baxter State Park ME


Sept 17, 2012 Mon
I decided to visit Baxter State Park before I started back tracking to VT to do some leaf peeping.
Baxter SP is home to Mount Katahdin. The highest peak in ME at 5,267 ft.
Baxter SP is a little over 200,000 acres. It was the intent of the former Governor of Maine Percival Proctor Baxter that the park be kept in its original natural state for eternity. There are primitive tent only campgrounds. There is no running water in the park. There are no dogs, motorcycles, or OHVs allowed in the park. It is primarily a hiking park, but there are day use areas for folks like me just passing through. The road through the park is unpaved, winding, narrow and steep in places. Often there is only room for one car. When you enter the park the gate person lets you know it will be a minimum of four hours to the opposite entrance. There is a 20 mph speed limit and 10 mph in places. If you stop and take a lot of photos like me it’s an all day affair. I was hoping to find a Moose, but I just found some pretty scenery.
Oh well.


On the road that leads to the park.
I can't decide if this is just nice graffiti or a nice painting on a rock.

Ledge Falls
Abol Stream Bridge
I saw a Northern Waterthrush here, but didn't get a photo.

Typical scene in Baxter State Park
Stump Pond

Mount Katahdin from the southern entrance to the park 5,267 ft
Mount Katahdin from near Patten ME 5,267 ft
You go through Patten after you exit the northern end of the park
 

No comments:

Post a Comment