Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Rio Grande Valley TX


March 19 – 28, 2012

I have spent the last ten days in the Rio Grande Valley in South Texas. Texas really promotes the fact that you can see bird species here that you can find nowhere else in the US. The Texas visitor centers and state and local parks have maps to all the great birding spots and they tell you what you should expect to find at each place. There are birders from all over the world that flock to this part of Texas in the winter and spring each year. I have met some really nice people out there on the birding trails. Tomorrow I will be moving over to a different part of Texas, but only 80 miles from here. It’s closer to the gulf coast and I expect to find more migrating birds there. For now here’s an example of what I found in the area.

Fulvous Whistling Duck
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher
Plain Chachalaka
Least Grebe
Ladder-backed Woodpecker
Buff-bellied Hummingbird

No comments:

Post a Comment