Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Big Bend National Park and Big Bend Ranch State Park TX


March 5 – 12, 2012

I left the beautiful Davis Mountains today and moved on to Big Bend National Park in Texas. WOW, WOW, WOW. This place is sooooo very big. The mountains are gorgeous.
Here are a few stats about Big Bend National Park:
It covers over 801,000 acres – more land area than the state of Rhode Island – and averages 350,000 or fewer visitors per year.
Big Bend was established in 1944. In 1976 it was designated an International Biosphere Preserve.
Did I mention it’s BIG?
Unfortunately we were there during spring break so I think most of the 350,000 visitors were there during our stay.
I tried to capture some images that would give a feeling of just how huge the park is, but I think it’s just one of those things you must experience in person to “get it”.
For more information about Big Bend National Park visit http://www.nps.gov/bibe/index.htm

I also saw my first Golden-fronted Woodpecker.

Golden-fronted Woodpecker


View From Ross Maxwell Scenic Drive

"The Window" View from the Chisos Mountains Lodge

Santa Elena Canyon Cut by the Rio Grande


View From Ross Maxwell Scenic Drive

Nugent Mountain

Part of Nugent Mountain
Mule Ears

Linda, Carole, and I took a guided jeep drive through part of Big Bend Ranch State Park. We left the jeep and ventured into Closed Canyon with our guide. I had to scoot down some rocks on my rear end, but I made it down and back. The tour was out of the town of Terlingua, TX. There is an old ghost town there. People have moved back into some of the old buildings. Most of the buildings are still not inhabitable. There is an old cemetery and a Catholic Church that are still used today.

Linda, Carole, and Guide entering Closed Canyon

River Road through Big Bend Ranch State Park TX

Catholic Church in Terlingua Ghost Town

Cemetery in Terlingua Ghost Town

No comments:

Post a Comment